A lot of students and their parents wonder which are the best books for IIT JEE preparation. Some of our experienced faculty, who are also IIT students and alumni, have listed in this post important reference books that are essential for an effective JEE preparation.
1. NCERT Chemistry 11th and 12th class: The NCERT chemistry books are quite exhaustive in the content aspect. The intext and exercise problems are on a very basic level and cover each and every part of the chapter. Use these books to develop sound fundamentals first, and then move on to more advanced level problems from other books and material.
2. P. Bhadhur Objective: It’s one of the most highly recommended books for physical chemistry for any engineering entrance exam. The set of problems in the book are very exhaustive. The problems available are from state level engineering entrance exams to JEE for each chapter in the book.
3. Arihant Organic Chemistry Objective (Optional): NCERT theory is sufficient for organic and Inorganic but to undergo extra practice, students can refer to Arihant publication books which are re-published each year based on the current pattern of JEE.
Few other books that you can use to pickup some quality problems – O.P Tandon and Arihant Objective for IIT JEE
1. NCERT Physics 11th and 12th class: Physics NCERT textbook have been written marvellously well for Physics. The technical language is the first barrier you will face with these books, but it will only prepare you well for JEE. In JEE the first barrier is the language barrier, i.e you need to first comprehend what the problem states.
2. H.C.Verma: It was written by a Prof. from IIT-Kanpur in the early 90′s. It’s the only book till now which has explained all the concepts precisely with a very exhaustive set of problems. The problems of this book provokes analytical reasoning and helps develop strategy to apply concepts in every possible way.
3. Resnick, Halliday & Walker (Optional): This book is referred as additional reading material to further understand the theory of each chapter. Each and every concept is explained to the finest detail with multiple examples for each concept.
Few other books that you can use to pickup some quality problems – I.E Irodov and Concepts of Physics G.C. Agarwal
1. NCERT Maths 11th and 12th: The problems in the book are basic and easy. Most of the problems can be solved orally by the student. This book should be covered very early in one’s preparation.
2. A. Das Gupta Objective: It’s a practice book for each chapter, and a good indicator of your understanding of each chapter. ‘Practice makes perfect’ and this is the motto of this book.
3. S.L. Loney for Trigonometry and Coordinate Geometry: The author has written the book in a very exhaustive manner, in-fact even PhD students use these books. For ideal preparation it’s always preferred to have a mentor to guide the student on which part of the book is solved and which part can be left out.
4. G.N. Berman: This book is specifically used for Calculus, and on every concept in every chapter a number of different problems are available. Don’t use this book beyond Calculus as it contains higher level mathematics, which is not at all needed for JEE.
Few other books that you can use to pickup some quality problems – I.A Maron and A Das Gupta Subjective.
Your preparation for the IIT JEE is nothing less than a war where you are fighting with thousand other contenders for one single seat.
- by Nisharg Golash